The New York City Clean Trucks Program has evolved from the successful Hunts Point pilot. The program offers rebate incentive funding to reduce diesel exhaust emissions by replacing older, heavy polluting diesel trucks with new battery-electric, or EPA emission compliant alternative fuel (compressed natural gas, diesel-electric hybrid, and plug-in hybrid) and diesel trucks. Funding is available from $12,000 up to $185,000 per truck replacement, depending on fuel type and truck class size.
Funding for applicants in 20 program-approved NYC Industrial Business Zones (IBZs). Eligible trucks for replacement must be in or provide service within 0.5 miles of program approved IBZs for the previous 24 months:
|Bathgate||Brooklyn Navy Yard||Jamaica||North Shore|
|Eastchester||East New York||JFK||West Shore|
|Hunts Point||Flatlands/Fairfield||Long Island City|
The program is all-encompassing so fleets that move freight, service vehicles, trash haulers, fuel, concrete mixers, and construction vehicles are all eligible.
If a truck will be replaced with an electric vehicle the breakdown is as follows:
If a truck is replaced with a non-electric clean vehicle the grants are less generous but still significant:
|Class||CNG||Diesel Electric Hybrid||Plug-in Hybrid Electric||Diesel Electric|
Trucks Eligible for Replacement Must Meet the Following Requirements:
- Eligible Model Year Engine: 1992 – 2009
- Class 4 to Class 7 local goods movement or commercial diesel-fueled truck
- Class 8 port drayage or local freight diesel-fueled truck
- Vehicles must have been operating within New York City for the past 24 months
Replacement Trucks Must Meet the Following Requirements:
- Must be a brand-new truck
- Perform the same function as the diesel-powered truck being replaced
- Class 4 to Class 8 trucks must be replaced with trucks in the same weight class as the old truck
- Be operated within 0.5 miles of NYC Clean Trucks Program-approved IBZs twice a week
Replacement Truck Mileage:
- Must average 5,000 miles per year, or more, for 5 years
- At least 70% of the total vehicle miles traveled (VMT) must be within the Tri-State area (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut)
For more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-310-2733.