The New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) is commencing work on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE) to extend the life of the cantilever for at least another 20 years. The City’s plan focuses on preserving the structure; executing immediate and ongoing maintenance; expanding monitoring and enforcement; and developing a long-term, community-based vision for the entire corridor (though there is not clear consensus of what that will be)
The following notice was sent by DOT to freight industry stakeholders:
Beginning August 30, 2021, NYC DOT will reduce the BQE from Atlantic Avenue to Brooklyn Bridge, from three to two lanes in both directions. This change will:
- Immediately reduce weight on the roadway and help extend the use of the structure
- Promote safety by providing dedicated entrance and exit lanes
- Provide an adequate shoulder, minimizing the impact of incidents
Please prepare for new traffic patterns. There will be substantial delays on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway.
- Drivers of private vehicles are always encouraged to take public transportation.
- Trucks and other essential vehicles should take alternate routes, and maximize the use of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel and the New Jersey Turnpike. **
*If you or your company operate trucks or special vehicles, DOT asks that you familiarize yourself and/or drivers with tunnel and bridge restrictions on alternative routes. These restrictions may include the transportation of hazardous materials, vehicle lengths, widths, heights, and weights.
Regional Truck Resources:
- MTA Truck and Commercial Vehicle Rules, Regulations, and Permits
- NYC Department of Transportation’s Trucks and Commercial Vehicles Rules and Regulationsand Overdimensional Permits
- NYS Department of Transportation’s Truck Rules and Regulations
- NJ Department of Transportation’s Truck Rules and Regulations
- NYS Thruway Authority’s Commercial Services Rules, Regulations, and Permits
Please direct specific inquiries about the BQE project to BQEproject@dot.nyc.gov and visit www.nyc.gov/BQE for project updates.
Leave a Reply