Subject to NYC Clean Trucks Program approval, applicants applying for battery electric vehicle (BEV) replacement trucks may now purchase an older diesel truck from a 3rd party owner to meet the qualifying (old) truck eligibility requirements. The purchaser must meet all applicable New York State requirements, including but not limited to, title transfer and sales tax payment.
To qualify for the program, the older diesel truck must meet these eligibility requirements:
- Qualifying Truck must be a Class 4 to Class 8 diesel-fueled truck equipped with a Model Year 1992-2009 Engine.
- Qualifying Truck must be owned by the applicant and registered within the nine-county New York Metropolitan Area for the previous 24 months.
- Applicant must provide proof the Qualifying Truck has been:
- Located within 0.5 miles of a program-approved industrial business zone (IBZ) for the previous 24 months; or
- Operating within 0.5 miles of program-approved IBZs for the previous 24 months.
- Program-approved IBZ maps can be found on the website (www.nycctp.com/ibzs/).
- Qualifying Truck must have operated at least 5,000 miles annually over the previous 24 months.
- Qualifying Truck chassis must be cut, and the engine must be scrapped in accordance with program requirements.
More information on the NYC Clean Trucks Program is available here. If this program doesn’t work for you but you are still interested in fleet electrification, EVrinda is an aggregation platform that brings qualified customers, innovative financiers, utilities, and third party vehicle and charger providers to develop and implement customized business models to accelerate fleet electrification.
The American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI) built an online compendium that describes sustainable freight practices from the trucking industry’s perspective and highlights the positive impacts of, and opportunities for, specific sustainability tools and programs. New York City is working on its own set of sustainable freight strategies. Think pieces related to those initiatives can be found here.
Fleets in need of either purchasing or liquidating trucks and equipment should utilize TruckTractorTrailer.com.